THE NBL (NFL.com) - Internal Rules - Year 17 (2021)

DISCORD Channel link: The No Bollox League on DISCORD - chat room
Alas not many people took the chat rooms option up for my leagues but there still there should anyone want to lead the way - encourage other GM’s to join you in chat - each of my leagues has its own dedicated room to discuss things about that particular league but there is a general chat area for anyone who partakes in any BLM fantasy games I run here: BLM Fantasy Games general chat room on DISCORD

THE NO BOLLOX LEAGUE - XVII

Keeper Deadline Date:

August 20, 2021 (Friday)

Live Draft Date:

Sunday, Aug 22, 2021 at 3:00pm EDT / 8:00pm BST

(Snake style draft)

Full NBL settings can be viewed here: The NBL League Settings

BACKGROUND

I first set this league up in 2005 as I wanted to play Americans at their own game and show British peeps could be just as good - if not better at their fantasy football.

I was also fed up with owners giving up or not playing out the season - hence the leagues name (born out of frustration). Over the years I have replaced owners that didn’t set line ups and modified my internal rules to create what has become a very competitive league.

The key element being a 50/50 make up of team coaches from the UK & USA (8 Americans & 8 Brits). It makes for a rather nice added rivalry as we all still compete to beat one another but as a side bar whoever wins the Super Bowl also wins a title for their respective nation.

TEAM NAMES

As part of that USA v UK aspect of the league it is a league rule to display - USA or - UK after your team name (as part of your team name) to show what side of the pond you represent.

NEW OR NOTABLE INTERNAL RULE CHANGES

Any sections boxed and bolded like this paragraph are to bring attention to new or amended internal rules for the forth coming season (as my league is developing year on year) and helps returning team GMs to quickly find what’s new or changed from the previous season.

PAST MAJOR CHANGES

From season 8 this league introduced IDP’s (Individual Defensive Players instead of the traditional block Defense) along with draft pick trading and keepers that kicked in from season 9. Keepers come from your finishing squads as they were the end of the previous season - so worth long term planing and taking note of the following keeper rules…

KEEPERS

Each owner/team will be allowed to keep up to a maximum of 2 players however only one from each side of the ball (Offense/Defense). So in effect if keeping 2 players one has to be an IDP. You do not have to keep any players if you so wish, each owner has the choice each year - 0, 1 or 2 players. There will be a keeper deadline before the next years draft so it is each owners responsibility to look out for that deadline as no changes to selection(s) can be made after it.

Anyone who does not follow the one from each side of the ball Keeper Rule and tries to keep 2 Offensive players or 2 IDP players will find they only have 1 keeper. The 2nd Keeper choice whoever it is will be over-ridden prior to the draft and be changed to ‘no keeper selected’.

Keepers will cost you the draft position they were drafted in the previous season (regardless of who drafted them). Only exception to this is when the same owner keeps the same player in consecutive seasons - then the player shifts up 1 round per year - unless he’s a first round pick - for obvious reasons. Any player kept that was undrafted the previous year will count as a last round selection.

You can find the previous seasons draft results within the league itself (here is a link): NBL 2020 Draft Results

DRAFT ORDER

For those teams that make the playoffs proper (teams finishing 1st-6th), there draft order will be a reverse of the previous years finishing positions as decided by NFL.com - so the previous years champion will still draft last in round 1 (*16th) and the team finishing 6th (*11th). [*excluding draft pick trading]

However I noticed in the dead rubber games some GM’s had a tendency to tank in order to get a more favourable draft position the following season. So to address that from the end of the 2014 season the following changes took affect regarding draft spots from the consolation play-off games.

If you were not in the running for the title (i.e. in the playoffs proper), there was nothing to play for except next years draft position - and the way it was, the worse you did in the dead games, the better your draft pick position the next year. This encouraged GM’s who were out of the playoffs not to try and win, actually often hoping to lose by starting their worst players (just to avoid falling foul of the strike rule, as there’s nothing else riding on those results).

So to correct that anomaly is why I introduced this rule change - making the so called dead rubber games un-dead. Each of these consolation games are now worth winning because your now playing for a higher draft spot. As this part of the draft order involving the 10 non-championship playoff teams is inverted - to reward their post season wins, however pointless they may seem at the time.

So the 6 proper playoff teams will still keep their draft positions (16th - 11th).

However the rest (consolation playoff teams) will now go like this…

The team finishing 7th (i.e. best of the non-qualifiers) would have pick #1
The team finishing 8th (2nd best non-qualifier) would have pick #2
And so on, down to the team finishing 16th (worst non-qualifier) would have pick #10

I think this will be good for the league as now tanking for a better draft spot will not fly as the dead rubber games have something riding on them. I feel this should also help with the also ran GM’s trading away their better players with late round draft picks to the playoff bound GM’s who are willing to sell their next seasons chances on winning this year by agreeing to trades involving their bad players but with higher round draft picks from the following season - which is skewing the integrity of the league imho.

IDP Scoring Adjustments occurred in 2019 to keep the NBL a whole point scoring league (Non Fractional)

It was talked about a lot in the 2017 season how imbalanced IDP scores were and how any given week an IDP player could score you anything from just a few points to many tens of points and the spectrum was to much. For this reason for the 2019 season onward I adjusted the IDPs points down but unfortunately NFL.com did not round down so the half point given for Assisted Tackles made this league end up with fractional scores - which I did not want as the NBL has always been a non fractional scoring league. So for this reason I have had to adjust the Assisted Tackles category up to a full point (from half a point) to insure that does not happen.

So the NBL’s IDP scoring is as follows:

STANDINGS TIEBREAKER

In the 2017 season a poll was conducted during the post season to see what standings tie-breaker we should use going forwards as some GM’s did not like the default option of ‘Head to Head Record’ and the following is the result of that poll which is why we use ‘Points For’ as the Tiebreaker from 2018 onwards:

STRIKES RULE

Starting from last season (2020) strikes will also be issued for not being seen to vote in an official poll posted within the league on NFL.com. It’s been the hardest thing for me as a commissioner to get people to engage with me on rules and proposals to do with the league like having a trade deadline, expansion etc., so now it’s mandatory to partake in polls and to be seen to have voted.

I am not sure how you do this on the phone app but to do this via the standard internet using a browser - which can also be done on a smart phone - you scroll down the leagues home page to the message board and to the right of this you will see the latest poll. To the bottom right of this poll box you will see a link that says ‘More Polls >’ click this and it will open the poll with its message board below it. Here (you may need to scroll down) you sometimes will find more information about the poll and is also the place you type “Voted” to show you have voted after you have done so in that particular poll. To the top right of the poll you will see an arrow < and that will let you navigate back to see older polls and where you should check you have voted in each one and posted below each one to say you have Voted as if you have not voted or forgotten to post you have voted and not everyone has voted then anyone I can’t be sure did vote will pick up a Strike after 28 days of the Poll being posted. I hate having to do this but for many many seasons people have just not been engaging enough to help me shape the league by voting in polls so felt I had to do this so I can weed out and replace non committed GM’s with ones who buy into the ethos behind this custom keeper league.

There is no Trade Deadline in the NBL - This is because last season (2020) a poll was made for this and the result was the majority did not want one.

2021 POLLS

Okay first compulsory poll of 2021 and the majority opted for 2 RES slots on team rosters so this will be the setting from season 2021 onwards.

Okay our second compulsory poll of 2021 has finally had all 16 teams vote and the majority want a penultimate week of NFL regular season championship (Fantasy Super Bowl) so that will be the case from this season (2021) onward.

THE NO BOLLOX LEAGUE (NFL.com) Struck Out & Permanently Banned List

Last Years Final Standings

Annual Reorganising of the Divisions for 2021…

There will be 2 US and 2 UK teams in each Division. Once Divisions are drawn whichever one I am drawn in will become the North (as a little gift to myself as I am a Lions fan and they are in the NFC North) it really makes no material difference to the fantasy season whatsoever as the teams drawn with me are still the same teams just they to will be in the North division.

NBL SUPER BOWL HISTORY

NBL SUPER BOWL RECORDS

NBL - INDIVIDUAL LEAGUE RECORDS

WEEKLY STRIKE COUNT 2021

WK1 - 2 strikes (Paul Loos)
WK2 - 2 strikes (Paul Loos)
WK3 - 3 strikes (Paul Loos)
WK4 - no strikes issued
WK5 - no strikes issued
WK6 - no strikes issued
WK7 - 6 strikes (Michael Trujillo x5 & Douglas Hay x1)
WK8 - 1 strike (Rich Leese)
WK9 - 1 strike (Michael Trujillo)
WK10 - no strikes issued
WK11 - no strikes issued
WK12 - no strikes issued
WK13 - no strikes issued
WK14 - no strikes issued
WK15 - 1 strike (Amir Blackmon)
WK16 - 1 strike (Brian Lassiter)
WK17 - no strikes issued

Link to previous years table: WEEKLY STRIKE COUNT 2020

A new website called Doodle was suggested to me by a GM in another league I run and it worked well for finding the draft date and time to suit most (not all) players in that league so I went and set a poll up for this league too using blocks of 2 hour windows for draft date and times. The result of which had a clear winner that suited 11 of the 14 GM’s who bothered to vote (2 did not) so this will be our draft date and time for this season.

Week 1 Strikes (x2)

Sad to report the following strikes are awarded for NFL Week 1:

Paul Loos - WildBarrys - USA x2 for:

x1 Started RB - Travis Etienne - (JAX) - on IR

Published: Thu, Sep 2 at 9:20am by Rotowire.com

Looking at four-month timeline

Etienne (foot) will have surgery Thursday and is facing a four-month recovery timeline thereafter, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

Analysis: Etienne is ineligible for 2021 after being placed on injured reserve during the preseason, but it sounds like he’ll at least be healthy before the start of the offseason program next spring. Dr. Robert Anderson will perform surgery Thursday on the rookie’s Lisfranc injury, while James Robinson is set to lead the Jacksonville backfield Week 1 against the Texans.

x1 Started DL - Stephon Tuitt - (PIT) - on IR

Published: Wed, Sep 1 at 8:28pm by Rotowire.com

Placed on injured reserve

Tuitt was placed on injured reserve for an undisclosed reason Wednesday, Teresa Varley of the Steelers’ official site reports.

Analysis: Tuitt racked up a career-high 11 sacks across 15 appearances during the 2020 campaign, but he’ll be sidelined for at least the first three weeks of the season in 2021. The specifics of the 28-year-old’s injury haven’t yet been revealed, but Henry Mondeaux and Isaiahh Loudermilk could see a slight uptick in playing time in his absence.

(LC) With a strike carried over from last season these 2 strikes actually put Paul on 3 Strikes meaning he’s lost his spot for 2022. So first on the USA waiting list is defo in next year should they want the spot and quite likely will be invited in this season should Paul pick up another 3+ strikes. It’s quite clear to me that Paul’s heart is not in it this season as he was the last to respond to my e-mails about returning this year, auto drafted and clearly did not check the results of that to have two Injured Resever players in his starting line up Week 1 who were both IR’ed in pre-season. Nothing else to say really other that perhaps it would of been better if you knew you didn’t have the time to fully commit to the season to have voulantarily withdrawn rather than auto draft and get struck out early doors which seems odds on now! :disappointed:

Week 2 Strikes (x2)

Sad to report the following strikes are awarded for NFL Week 2:

Paul Loos - WildBarrys - USA x2 for:

Etienne (foot) will have surgery Thursday and is facing a four-month recovery timeline thereafter, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports.

Analysis: Etienne is ineligible for 2021 after being placed on injured reserve during the preseason, but it sounds like he’ll at least be healthy before the start of the offseason program next spring. Dr. Robert Anderson will perform surgery Thursday on the rookie’s Lisfranc injury, while James Robinson is set to lead the Jacksonville backfield Week 1 against the Texans.

Tuitt was placed on injured reserve for an undisclosed reason Wednesday, Teresa Varley of the Steelers’ official site reports.

Analysis: Tuitt racked up a career-high 11 sacks across 15 appearances during the 2020 campaign, but he’ll be sidelined for at least the first three weeks of the season in 2021. The specifics of the 28-year-old’s injury haven’t yet been revealed, but Henry Mondeaux and Isaiahh Loudermilk could see a slight uptick in playing time in his absence.

(LC) I’m really feeling let down as these two strikes are earned on the exact same two players as last week so it’s quite clear to me the team has not been adjusted at all. Paul is obviously not interested in this league this year which as I had people queuing up to join this league leaves me feeling very let down. Why Paul did not just withdraw pre-season rather than stay in and let himself be struck out is a head scratcher for me. He is now only one strike away from being replaced in season and added to the black list (never allowed back into the NBL) which on current form I estimate to occur next week (NFL Week 3). :rage:

Week 3 Strikes (x3)

Sad to report the following strikes are awarded for NFL Week 3:

Paul Loos - WildBarrys - USA x3 for:

x1 Started WR - Diontae Johnson - (PIT) who was ruled out before his teams actual game day.

Published: Fri, Sep 24 at 3:13pm by Rotowire.com

Won’t play Sunday

Johnson (knee) won’t play Sunday against the Bengals.

Analysis: Johnson was unable to practice all week, so it remains to be seen if he’ll have a chance to return to action Week 4 versus Green Bay. In his confirmed absence this weekend, James Washington figures to step up as the Steelers’ No. 3 receiver (behind JuJu Smith-Schuster and Chase Claypool), with the team potentially also rolling out more multi-tight end looks Sunday.

(LC) I’m not suprissed sadly but teh same guy picks up another 3 strikes this week and 2 the same as the 2 he got strikes for NFL Weeks 1 & 2 starting players on IR who were put on IR before the season even started. Paul Loos has shown the NBL total dissrespect and should of told me before the season started he was not interested in retrning this year as he’s not been in the league at all from what i can see. Well he’s now gone past the 6 strikes where he gets banned for life from the NBL and replaced forthwith. So good riddence as far as i’m concerend now. I hope the next USA replacement buys in.

Week 7 Strikes (x6)

Sad to report the following strikes are awarded for NFL Week 7:

Michael Trujillo - BUFFALO BILLS - USA x5 for:

x1 Started WR - Cole Beasley - (BUF) - on a BYE

x1 Started TE - Dalton Schultz - (DAL) - on a BYE

x1 Started WR - Amari Cooper - (DAL) - on a BYE

x1 Started K - Rodrigo Blankenship - (IND) - on IR

Published: Sat, Oct 16 at 1:37pm by Rotowire.com

Placed on IR

Blankenship (hip) was placed on injured reserve Saturday.

Analysis: Blankenship had already been ruled out for Sunday’s Week 6 matchup due to a hip injury that he sustained last week, but he’ll be forced to miss at least three games. Michael Badgley was elevated from the practice squad ahead of Sunday’s game against the Texans.

x1 Started DB - Micah Hyde - (BUF) - on a BYE

Douglas Hay - McBear Bears - UK x1 for:

x1 Started WR - Antonio Brown - (TB) who was ruled out before his teams actual game day.

Published: Fri, Oct 22 at 12:28pm by Rotowire.com

Ruled out with ankle injury

Brown (ankle) has been ruled out for Sunday’s game against the Bears, Greg Auman of The Athletic reports.

Analysis: Brown caught nine passes for 93 yards and a score against the Eagles last Thursday, but he hasn’t practiced since and now will miss a game for the second time this season. Scotty Miller and Tyler Johnson shared the No. 3 wideout role when Brown was on the reserve/COVID-19 list back in Week 3, but Miller is now on injured reserve with a toe injury. Johnson will likely have the No. 3 role to himself this Sunday, backed by rookie Jaelon Darden and possibly Jaydon Mickens or Cyril Grayson from the practice squad. Head coach Bruce Arians didn’t comment on expectations for Brown beyond Sunday, though Arians had hope earlier this week that the wideout might avoid an absence altogether. Tampa Bay faces Washington in Week 8 before heading on bye Week 9.

(LC) I’m totally shocked by Michael getting 5 strikes on the same weekend especially as he’s a new guy who assured me he was active and competitive, wanted into this league real bad before start of season but missed out due to being in hospital without access to e-mails. So he was on the waiting list per his request and I got him in as soon as another player got struck out and then does this not 2 weeks into joining. Well he’s lost his spot for next season and just 1 more strike I’ll be replacing him in the current season. He could set a record for the shortest ever stay in the NBL at this rate. Why is it so hard to find players who give a damn! :rage:

Week 8 Strikes (x1)

Sad to report the following strike is awarded for NFL Week 8:

Rich Leese - Vlads Impailers - UK x1 for:

x1 Started TE - Mark Andrews - (BAL) - on a BYE

Week 9 Strikes (x1)

Sad to report the following strikes are awarded for NFL Week 9:

Michael Trujillo - BUFFALO BILLS - USA x1 for:

x1 Started QB - Aaron Rodgers - (GB) - who was ruled out before his teams actual game day.

Published: Wed, Nov 3 at 2:02pm by Rotowire.com

Moves to COVID-19 list

Green Bay will place Rodgers on the reserve/COVID-19 list Wednesday, Mike Spofford of the Packers’ official site reports.

Analysis: After playing without Davante Adams due to a positive test for the virus last Thursday in Arizona, Green Bay will be without the reigning league MVP in Week 9 for the same reason. Head coach Matt LaFleur mentioned Wednesday that Rodgers “won’t be available this week” and doesn’t know how long the quarterback will be sidelined. In Rodgers’ place, second-year signal-caller Jordan Love will receive his first career start Sunday at Kansas City. With Kurt Benkert (undisclosed) on the practice squad COVID-19 list, the Packers are expected to sign Blake Bortles to temporarily fill the opening on the practice squad before he’s elevated to the active roster to serve as Love’s backup Sunday.

(LC) I am flabberghasted - this is the first time I think I have had to kick out a replacement GM in the same season I got them in to replace a previous strike out. This dude despite assurances to the contrary (about being competitive and always on it) has been nothing but a flake! Futherore he could not even bother to use his real name despite my asking him if he would do so and him saying he would. Lastly his final strike starting A-Rod who was confirmed out on the Wednesday before any of Week 9’s games even started and he just couldnt be arsed it seems. Well I will do my utmost to replace his lax ass before first game of Week 10 starts. Good riddance Yeti / aka Micheal Trujillo!