Draft day thread for 2023 Baseball Bestball League

Hi folks,
Just over 2 weeks till the draft. A few notes, for everyone but especially those new to the league.

Draft is 19:00 UK time on Sunday March 26 (20:00 in Switzerland I think, Andy!)

We look like having 10 managers (still time for some to drop out, or others to join…) If we do have 10, then the prize pot will be £250, and this will split: £150 to the winner, £75 to second, £25 to third.

The Fantrax website honestly isn’t the best… but it seems to be the only one which runs free baseball bestball leagues. So, as a suggestion – have a poke around the site before draft day, maybe do a mock draft. Basically get used to the ‘features’.
There is a chat function on the Fantrax draft page. We’ll use it on draft day – but in case of technical issues, this thread will be the fall back.

The draft is 30 rounds, with 90 seconds per pick (usually, most picks are done in less than 90 seconds, otherwise we’ll be drafting past midnight!)
I will randomise the draft order early on draft day to give people you a little prep time once you know your draft spot.
I believe Fantrax will autodraft for you if you are absent / asleep / having technical problems (based on past experience, it doesn’t pick especially good players though…!)

As a bestball league, we are “draft and done”. No changes to your squad during the year, so draft with injuries in mind.
Every week, (Monday to Sunday), Fantrax will automatically pick your best scoring 12 player line up of the week, from your 30 man squad:
(1 Catcher, 1 First Base, 1 Second Base, 1 Third Base, 1 Short Stop, 3 Out Fielders, 1 Flex Batter, 3 Pitchers).
There are no head to head match ups, just rack up points each week to get the biggest season total.

If you draft a batter, he will only score for batting (and won’t score if he happens to pitch). If you draft a pitcher, he will only score for pitching (and won’t score if he happens to bat). This means nothing for 99% of players, but bear in mind that Shohei Ohtani is listed on Fantrax as a batter – so you will only score his batting points. If you scored his pitching points as well, he would be drafted 1.01 in every league in the world!

Hopefully this clears up a lot of questions, feel free to ask any more though – and I look forward to seeing you all in the draft room…

1 Like

4 days to go till the draft!
We have an 11th manager (welcome, Jordan) so prizes are now:
1st - £175
2nd - £75
3rd - £25

As the draft is 30 rounds, I will aim to pause for a few minutes after every 6 rounds, to give people a drinks / toilet break!

Draft order will be randomised and posted here on Sunday morning

Draft order (TBC is Jordan’s team, need to get him added in!)

Everyone - the draft room seems to have crashed! Trying to get back in now

1 Like

Got back in it seems stuck

1 Like

You’re doing better than me then…

still down for me as well

I closed it down and started it again took a while

I think we may have to give up at this point

If it is totally screwed, I will just refund all stakes.
Bear in mind, that means I am still reigning champ!

Seems to be unstuck now but no good if people can’t get it suggest you give it one last try

Back in ! I think a few others are

yes, me too!

Yep working again suggest we just bash in

New York Yankees were the most drafted team - 16 players in total.
Oakland lowest (amazingly not Washington!)

NYY 16
ATL 14
STL 14
TOR 14
CHW 13
LAD 13
SEA 13
CHC 12
CLE 12
HOU 12
MIL 12
MIN 12
NYM 12
PHI 12
SD 12
SF 12
BOS 11
LAA 11
MIA 11
TEX 11
BAL 10
TB 10
ARI 9
CIN 9
COL 9
PIT 9
DET 7
KC 6
WSH 6
OAK 5

Pitchers were unsurprisingly the most drafted, ahead of outfielders. Shortstops were the narrow leaders in the infield positions

P 9.8
OF 7.3
SS 2.7
C 2.6
1B 2.5
3B 2.5
2B 2.5

(average players drafted per team)

Squad formations

Team 1B 2B 3B SS C OF P
Portland Mavericks 3 3 3 3 3 7 8
Sugar Land Space Cowboys 3 2 2 2 3 7 11
Twin & Bear it 2 1 3 3 1 8 12
Amarillo Sod Poodles 3 3 2 2 1 7 12
Montgomery Biscuits 2 3 2 3 2 9 9
Albuquerque Isotopes 3 3 3 3 3 6 9
Omaha Storm Chasers 3 2 3 3 3 6 10
Savannah Bananas 2 2 3 3 2 9 9
Las Vegas Aviators 3 2 3 3 4 7 8
Great Lakes Loons 2 2 2 2 2 8 12
Spokane Indians 2 4 2 3 5 6 8

Chris’s Twin and Bear It side taking a chance by only drafting 1 second baseman and 1 catcher. The Sod Poodles also stuck with just 1 catcher.

By contrast, Portland and Albuquerque made sure to get 3 players at each of the infield positions (obviously at the expense of having fewer outfielders / pitchers)

Great Lakes Loons hitting the pitcher position hard - not only drafting 12 of them, but picking up 4 in the first 6 rounds. Malcy will be disappointed if he doesn’t top-score at that position

1 Like