Cheltenham festival 2015 tips and chat

That’s what I was on about Dean - that’s what I did but wasn’t sure if e/w counted for offer so did a straight win. Fingers crossed.

Noel - that bet should give you a buzz, turn up the TV, the Irish will be going mental if Hurracane Fly is in contention. I’m sure The New One will run a great race, Faugheen is the banker of the meeting for many but he’s not unbeatable ( we need him to hit a hurdle or two if he is to get turned over).

I truly believe that TNO will beat faugheen even if the ‘Machine’ is on his best form, went back and watched some of TNO races and he finishes his races at Cheltenham better then anywhere else, as seen from form in 2013 when he was held by Zarkandar by half a length at Aintree, but easily got past Zarkandar at the same weights by 6 lengths at Cheltenham a few months on from that, so if TNO jumps the last and lands anywhere near level with any other horse in the race, I think he’d win the battle

Wow, you guys are busy tonight…

The going is currently: good to soft with good in places with the chance of showers coming most days next week. So basically it looks nailed on to be good to soft.

So my picks are:

Champion Hurdle: The new one @ 7/2
RSA: Coneygree @ 9/2
Gold Cup: Djakadam @ 10/1 E/W
Queen Mother: Sire De Grugy @ 3/1
World Hurdle: Annie Power (nap) @ 5/1 E/W

Coneygree may run in the GC, she would not want the ground better than good to soft.
Djakadam Would not want the ground better than good to soft
Annie Power may run in the mares where she is no value, if she goes in the world she becomes my nap, followed closely by Djakadam.

My email: gordsbox@gmail.com

Good luck to all who have a go next week lads.

Regards

read this in a racing post article earlier

"Mullins also confirmed that Annie Power will swerve the Ladbrokes World Hurdle, in which she was last year’s runner-up, in favour of a tilt at the OLBG Mares’ Hurdle, for which she is generally 4-7.

“I wasn’t really tempted by the World Hurdle,” Mullins said. “She is having her first run of the year and for a mare that would be a very hard task. Things have been very good with her since she had a little setback earlier in the year.”"

so looks like Annie Powers almost certainly not running in the world hurdle now, also dunno if its a mistake, but if your putting bets on, The New One should be double that price, is 3/1 in most places

Gordon is your 6/4 TNO betting without Faugheen?

Djakadam could be the best 10-1 in history or a complete dud, everyone seems convinced he’s the next superstar of jumping.
Annie Power was the darling last year but I don’t think the hill suited.

Noel - watching last years race Jezki powers to Champion Hurdle glory - YouTube does it make you more or less confident about TNO?

Its the horse in red with a white star. The horses in green and yellow stripes are all owned by millionaire owner JP McManus. MyTentOr Yours was his big favourite with second strong Jezki also fancied, third strong was a pacemaker for MyTentOrYours

Dean- do you reckon he was outpaced turning for home because he was hampered earlier, or did he just actually just lack the turn of foot to go with them at first?

Hard to say, last year I think he was beat fair & square (bit biased cos I was on Jezki), but perhaps Sam Twiston Davis didn’t make 100% use of him, hence the way he finished. I think he will be ridden close to Faugheen this year and I think it will be a battle to the line. That’s make TNO a good bet because any Faugheen mistake would make him an odds against shot.

I know this is a hurdle but this race reminds me of Moscow Flyer v Azertiyioup, where a mistake by one of them would make the other a virtual certainty.

I think Arctic Fire could finished 3rd

1 Like

STD has improved big style in the past 12 months and will ride Cheltenham better than ever.

I was on Jezki too last year, been a big fan since before McManus got him, but remember after watching the race last year, thinking he had got away with one after seeing TNO finish so close.
only 3 more days till we find all of this out and we can stop speculating, I for one, can not wait haha

1 Like

Hey guys I’m not into horses but seems some of you are and love Cheltenham so think you guys could have fun doing the Telegraphs free Fantasy Cheltenham game - one of you could set up a private league for fun or a little money for added interest any way here’s a link:

https://fantasyracing.telegraph.co.uk/cheltenham/select-team/?cachebuster=1425782752

PS If you want and someone does set a private league up I could forward out the details to all my contact list as I have no clue who is or is not into the GG’s from my fantasy game contacts not being into GG’s myself - so could be a whole pool of potential participants there.

I’ve been doing the telegraph fantasy racing all season, and set up my stable for the Cheltenham game.

You can read how it works on the site, but the basics are you pick 3 Jockeys and 3 Trainers, within the limits they have set, and you get points for every winner/placed horse they have. Then you also pick one horse in each of the 27 races, and you get points if they win or place, the amount of points depending on their starting price. Its pretty good fun, and there’s a grand up for grabs to the top overall stable.

So yeah if you follow Noels link above and sign up, I’ve created a league, it’s not gonna be paid as its too late to set that up I reckon (unless that’s something a few of you guys would be interested in, then I could make it a money league, would be winner takes all, for £10-20, let me know if that would interest you), otherwise just gonna be for friendly competition, and bragging rights haha. So nothing to lose, and you have a shot at a grand.

League Name is TheFanPubCheltLeague
And the League Pin is 8087291

Hi Dean,

Good spot, that was a typo!

I tend to follow the money when a good trainer and jockey combination are involved, I don’t see an out and out clear fav in the GC so I’m taking the solid but limited form on show and the hype and what could still turn out to be nice value with an E/W punt on Djakadam

Hi George,

I agree, everybody expects her to go to the mares where she is zero value, I think her freshness could be an asset if Mullins has her spot on and value can be found in that race. If she goes to the world I like her at the price. Really its a wait and see game on her.

George (UkDetroit3Lions) - You could always make the league money optional - those playing for fun can join to but those who want to play for money need to post on the leagues wall and PayPal you before start of first race - you decide the money fee for those that want the spice - I’d propose £10. Myself knowing naff all about GG’s will just join for fun see if I can get myself into a sport I have never cared for. Then once first race is off you can list on wall what the prize pot is and who’s in for the cash… just an idea. :smile:

So Annie can be removed from my list of picks since she goes to the mares as many thought. The New One becomes my new nap of the week as the ground turns in favour and the price in betfair now 9/2 is just too tempting!!

Just wasn’t good enough in the end, can’t say it was bad luck this year, luckily for me decided this morning I couldn’t miss out if all four of Mullins did come in, so put 25 quid on them, just need annie power now to be 200 up for the day, woulda been 150-200 down for sure if I didn’t place that bet

Fuckin hell, bookies get all the luck as always :confused:

wow that’s one unlucky loss there George! Chin up fella…

I know, was counting the money already before she fell, apparently she tried to jump the shadow of the hurdle, which meant she took off a stride too early, but oh well managed to make back 60 quid on the final two races, but still down 90 for the day, coulda been up 200 gutted, but will try again tomorrow haha