Cheltenham festival 2015 tips and chat

Hey dunno if any of you guys are into the horses, but as I am thought I’d start a thread for the Cheltenham festival which is coming up in under a month to post tips and just have general chat in the build up to the biggest horse racing festival of the year.

So far most of my tips come from the first day of the festival they are

L’AMI SERGE in the supreme novices hurdle at 9/2
UN DE SCEAUX in the Arkle I got EVENS but think he’s shorter now
THE NEW ONE in the Champion Hurdle at 3\1 (this one is my NAP of the whole festival) might be able to get bigger odds to
And ANNIE POWER, in the OLBG Mares hurdle, remarkable still available at EVENS believe she’ll end up long odds on, on the day

Updating this to add more tips I have come up with
SIRE DE GRUGY in the Queen Mother Champion Chase at 3/1
IF IN DOUBT in the RSA chase 10/1 E/W

Will keep adding some more as the festival gets closer

Love your confidence in THE NEW ONE, this should be a great race and unusually I reckon the Champion hurdle is a two horse race this year, so I’m also betting the same as you but having a saver f/cast on the fav to win and The New One to finish second.
Sam Twiston Davis is riding better than ever so hopefully this will be the start of a great festival for him.

Regarding my bets, I’m loathe to bet Ante Post for Cheltenham because the books almost always push out the price as they take each other on. The one I’m keeping my eye on is UN TEMPS POUR TOUT in the World Hurdle.

I usually go every year to at least one day at Cheltenham and highly recommend if you get the chance to go, its an amazing sporting event.

I think with MORE OF THAT now not looking likely to run in the world hurdle, it’s very open, think if he doesn’t run ROCK ON RUBY at 8/1 atm, would be my bet for it, won at the festival before so it won’t faze him and he looks like he’ll get the distance and if he does he’s the best horse in the race. UN TEMPS POUR TOUT could be a good outsider, depending on how much his fitness improves from his last run, cos he was beat by two horses who will be opposing him again, so he’ll have to come in quite a bit to make up the three lengths he was beat that day

And I’d love to go, but is a bit pricey for me atm, will probably try to make it next year tho, maybe we could plan something

I’ll agreewith Dean that the atmosphere was brilliant the one time I went (way back when Istabraq won his second Champion Hurdle- 2000 maybe?). Used to be very into the horses, especially the jumps, but don’t find the time for it nowadays. Last bet on the horses was probably last years Grand National!
Good luck with your bets guys!

George would love to plan a trip at some stage. I used to stay over but the nearest place we could ever get is upton-upon-severn. The atmosphere apres-racing is great, so long as you like Irish folk music and a sing-a-long.
These days I tend to take my dad on the quietest day ‘Thursday’ and can pick up a premium ticket for about £20-£30 either on Ebay/Gumtree/Course.
In my heyday - I would start revising for Cheltenham in January and would know every horse inside and out by race-day. At £60 in, £70 per night in the hotel and a similar for food and drink, I could not afford to lose.

On Ladbrokes life I’m the ‘Professor’ I think this is the only way to win at horse racing. Unfortunately now I have a family, job etc. I cannot afford to do the study so my betting tends to be less informed and inevitably less successful.
In the old days, form used to be a thick Timeform Black book, but now it’s click of the mouse to see every horse in action, so a less informed punter has no chance against the opposition.

Brilliant thread guys…

Used to play the GG’s more than I do now so I’m not up on form but I’m still a big fan of the sport and a day at the races is one of my fav things to do. I actually used to be believe and possibly still do that a proper day at the races is the number one pulling environment there is! Not been for a while but have been to Royal Ascot several times through the years although like Jon I always preferred the jumps. I shall check out this years form and get back to you with some thoughts. On old form I do like The New One and if back on song would take a lot of beating.

I would def be up for a trip to Cheltenham next year so count me in if the chat leads that way lads.

Cheers

1 Like

Just seen that Tom Segal (Pricewise) is tipping up SEEYOUATMIDNIGHT in the World Hurdle. This will run, only if the ground is good, however BET365 are top priced @ 40-1 and money back if non runner. So that could be a lively outsider, especially as I think the fav (Zarkander) is very beatable.

Also tipped Hidden Cyclone in the Champion Chase at 33/1 among other long shots at the festival, might throw a fiver each way on the two

1 Like

Will be interesting to see who Sam TD rides in the world hurdle, cos the bookies have ZARKANDAR as the favourite, but id expect him to ride SAPHIRE DU RHEU, as that stables number 1 for the race, but then if Noel Fehily is on ZARKANDAR, I think that improves his chances, cos he woulda won by a mile in his last race if Sam TD hadn’t messed up the ride. and having just had a quick look through SEEYOUATMIDNIGHTS form looks like he’s got a good 10-15lbs to find with some of the horses in the race, but who am I to argue with Tom Segal dudes great at what he does haha, but the world hurdle looks so open, if an outsider is gonna win any of the big races it’ll be this one.

Chris and I from the Feelers are massive horse racing fans. We will be going to all four days of the Festival. Brilliant fun would highly recommend anyone give it a try.

Had loads of bets already on the Festival.

Dean/George I quite like the way Un Temps Pour Tout travelled in the Cleeve and he had a bad injury last season so should improve for that run. It is a wide open race and many have question marks.

Not sure about The New One should definitely be in the first three, but prefer Jezki the Champion. His price is based in form running on a bog in Ireland and should be hard to beat on fast ground at Chelts. Definitely e/w value at 6’s

If the ground stays better than soft I like Annie Power for the world hurdle. There is some talk of her not running in the world hurdle due to her coming off an injury so that makes an ante post “no runner no bet” punt look appealing in her case. She has a great trainer in Mullins who has been pleased with her recent work and obviously whatever race she runs in she will have Walsh on board. The money has come for her in recent weeks.Link

Personally I don’t think she will go to the World Hurdle, I am pretty sure she will turn up in the Mares with that race now being a grade 1. She has had a troubled prep to and I think it unlikely the would go to the world hurdle but stranger things have happened and if she does she would have a big chance. So like you say nrnb is the way to go if you are going to back her.

Mullins quote

"Annie Power: "She is in great form and has hit every target we have set her.

"My aim at the moment is the OLBG Mares’ Hurdle. We will see what happens with the World Hurdle, but it will be a tough ask going three miles first time out in Cheltenham.

“She will probably be a bit fresher as well and that is another point to consider. You can say she didn’t have the stamina last year because of the fact she didn’t settle.”

Is that a recent quote?

Yes it’s from yesterdays media day.

Here is the full article on all Mullin’s runners

http://www.fatjockey.com/cheltenham-festival/featured_cheltenham_races.php?Top-Cheltenham-Festival-Trainers-Willie-Mullins-102#.VOXScIrYtbY.twitter

Thanks Alan, that’s a really useful insight. He makes Djakadam sound like a sweet little e/w shot in the gold cup.

He does like Djakadam for me he hasn’t done it at the highest level yet. I always like the form in the book rather than backing on hype etc. He is young and improving though and was going ok last year at Cheltenham before falling 4 out in the JLT so I wouldn’t put you off plus Mullins knows a lot more than me :smile: But he’s not for me.

Another young n I like is coneygree who could yet got the RSA or indeed the GC.

Coneygree looks a really classy novice chaser. He has been galloping his more experienced rivals into the ground. Have a big price on him in the rsa (12/1) so hoping he goes there. My one worry with him is the ground. He likes it soft. Cheltenham is very rarely soft but on good to soft which is likely he has a big chance.