Home
Forum
Discord Chat
FOLLOW @THEFANPUB

The Originals League 2021

[1]

To any of our returning players from last year - welcome back! To any new players - welcome!

This is now the main league thread for the 2021 version of the Originals League - the eighth year of TFP’s original fantasy league with its live in-person draft day.

The roll of honour so far is:

2014 – Chris Parkes
2015 – Dean Poole
2016 – Robert McGregor
2017 – Chris Jennings
2018 – Jon Cartwright
2019 – Javier Aparicio
2020 – Sean Connors

Are we going to crown an eighth different winner in 2021 or will somebody finally be able to repeat…?

The draft will take place on Saturday August 28th.

Plan A is that we will be able to hold a live draft, as in previous years, at the Ibis Hotel, near Southampton Central railway station. As you know, we had to switch to an online draft in 2020 due to COVID, and this is the fall-back Plan B that I hope we won’t have to turn to…

[2]

From the date of this post until the end of April, the league is open only to returning managers from the 2020 season.

If you weren’t in the league in 2020 but are keen to play, drop me a line and I will add you to the waiting list below – once we hit the end of April I will offer any free spaces to those on the waiting list, before opening entries up to all-comers!

The cost of league entry will remain at £125, the same as the last couple of years. You are signed into the league only when you have paid!

If you pay in, but then find that you can’t actually join the league, let me know and I will refund you. Cut off for refunds will be the start of August, to give me time to find a replacement manager.

[3]

Here is the list of managers who are confirmed for the 2021 league. Once people have signed up, and paid up, I will add their names onto the list.

1. Jon Cartwright
  2. Daniel Nichols
  3. Sam Devereux
  4. Noel Symonds

WAITING LIST

Chris Jennings
Dean Poole
Dan Abrey
Mark Dimmock

[4]

League Rules and Regulations

Money

£125 entry fee

The cost of the draft board and stickers for draft day, plus the cost of room hire, plus any other odds and ends needed for set up will come to about £200 ish - everything else will go to prizes.

The exact prizes will depend on how many managers join the league, and will be confirmed here in good time well before the season. If we get a full complement of 16 like last season, the first prize will once again be a cool £1,000!

The majority of the prize fund will go to the winners and runners up, with a few smaller prizes on offer to keep everyone in with a chance of getting something back.

League Set Up

There will be a 13 week regular season. At the end of that time, the top 8 teams will reach the playoffs (teams are ranked on number of wins - where two or more teams are level, total points scored is the tiebreaker).

At the time of writing, there is still the possibility of the NFL extending the regular season from 17 to 18 weeks. I’m not planning to change the length of the fantasy season (though I may be tempted for future seasons)

For week 14, the number 1 seed will choose their opponent from the other 7 playoff qualifiers. Then the other six playoff qualifiers will be paired off automatically (highest remaining seed plays lowest remaining seed, second highest plays second lowest etc)

For week 15, the highest seed still in the competition will choose their opponent from the other 3 remaining teams. Then the other two remaining teams will be paired.

The roster will be : QB, 2RBs, 2WRs, 1TE, 1DEF, 1K, 1 Flex RB/WR/TE, 6 bench spots.

Scoring will be the same as previous season (broadly NFL standard, though without PPR scoring, and with points individual players for any punt return and kick-off return TDs)

Waivers

We will continue to use WAB (Waiver Acquisition Budget) for making in-season player pick-ups. All managers will have 200 waiver points for the season, and 3 ways they can use them:

On draft day, each manager will submit a private bid of 0 to 200 points. The manager with the highest bid gets first choice of draft spot, next highest has second choice etc (two or more managers with the same bid will draw lots for priority). Each team will then have the amount of their bid deducted from their 200 points, to leave their remaining budget for the season

During weekly waivers all managers can use any or all of their budget to bid for unowned players (as detailed on the NFL.com fantasy site)

During the season, all managers can use any or all of their budget as part of a trade deal (for example Manager A sends Patrick Mahomes to manager B, in exchange for Dak Prescott and 40 waiver points)

1 Like

Sounds good and despite being neaqrly 1 year unemployed and useless at coming anywhere close to cashing - I’m in again. Will send you the money in next 48hrs. :football: :football: :football: :football: :football: :football: :football: :football: Go Lions!

1 Like