As well as the positive notes Dean listed there were also some concerns raised. He found that the venue was more than just remote, it was very remote!! We also discussed how the single track country roads in the area may be an issue if in the heart of winter there was snow or other bad weather, potentially leaving us without a SB booking to rely on. It was also chatted that while the place was impressive in parts there was a little wiggle room for dissatisfaction given the price & journey.
We have discussed this and still like the venue but not so much as a primary target. We like it more as a fall back option, albeit an expensive one. I appreciate this now sounds like turning full circle but a few weeks ago we had no plan to visit the gaff, only when it was lightly brought up in discussion Dean kindly volunteered to check it out and it’s been very useful. I just feel that and I think Dean agrees that at the price + journey it should be perfect.
With that in mind and unless anybody has anything to add to the decision I shall return all deposits and start looking for alternative venues. Given the start of the season we should soon see venues begin to market the evening so on the plus side some nice options might turn up. As discussed with Dean the most preferred option at this time (given the house has some doubt hanging over it) will be to locate a SB hosting venue that offers a decent VIP section so that we can have the best of both worlds, our own gang together with all the facilities we crave as well as the atmosphere of a well-run larger party.
I truly apologise for appearing to do a 360 on you all, I and I think we all just want the best we can get for the night!
Thank you for your comments and suggestions and understanding.