NFL - American Football - how did you get into this sport?

Share your story…

This particular ‘Blog’ category is just for each TFP member young or old, from anywhere in the world to share how they got into this great sport and how they came to choose to support the team they now do. Your story can be as long or as short as you wish it to be. Over time I am hoping this blog can give an insight to TFP members orgins stories whether occasional or heavy users on either the TFP forum (here) or the TFP server (Discord app).

Blog guidelines & rules:

• Share your passion for American Football and the NFL.
  • Tell us how & why you support the team you do?
  • This category is not like other categories as comments, reactions and replies to others stories will be deleted - this will become purely a database of TFP users personal NFL origin stories. A blog if you will of how each of us came to love this great sport and chose to support the team(s) we now do.

I was watching my first superbrawl when i was a kid. Was very impressed!

Funny you ask about getting into NFL! It wasn’t until a friend dragged me to a game that I truly got it. But here’s the twist: while I appreciate football, my real passion lies in pickleball. Yup, that’s right! I stumbled upon this awesome sport and community through https://anypickleball.com/. It’s like a mix of tennis and ping pong, but with its own unique flair. Sometimes, unexpected experiences lead us to discover new passions, right?

Washington Redskins fan and have been to DC a couple of times. Also mine and my old man’s second team were Miami Dolphins and have watched the game since the 80s. I used to buy First down newspaper and had to wait until it came out in a Thursday to get the stats with just Ceefax for the results until then. Although I did used to sneak a radio to bed when I was a kid on a Sunday night and managed to get a US forces commentary of some games.

I think my original choice was kit colour, loved the Redskins uniforms

1 Like

So how did I get into this amazing game? My memory reminds me of getting up in the middle of the night to sneak downstairs to catch a glimpse of Super Bowl although admittedly I understood very little of it except that two guys called Dan Marino and Joe Montana were in it. Somehow the hype got over to the UK on that basis and that was the first seed!

Later that year I was to visit California for summer hols and by the time I returned I was a 9ers crazy together with a celebratory champions baseball cap.

So 1985 was my first real year of following the sport, I remember Armed Forces Network being the main way of following the game - NFL is surprisingly good on radio! I also remember losing to the Rams and my heart was wrenching - yes that moment when you graduate as from a follower to a fan!

As the years rolled by I saw the TV coverage change from a one hour weeks delay to actual live games , buying USA today for the stats on Tuesday to first down and so on. I watched a bit of Britball live but late night college football soon became my thing, I remember seeing the Tennessee Vols Georgia Bulldogs game and just the colour Orange hooked me ! I even kept a scrap book of all the articles on the Vols - some great players in that era - Reggie Cobb, Alvin Harper and Carl Pickens to name a few.

To this day I’ve had my ups and downs with the 9ers and Vols but I wouldn’t change a thing! I’m older now and can ride the defeats but one thing I haven’t done yet is see the Vols play live in Neyland………watch this space

1 Like