**New** Dynasty League 2017

that’s something we need to all agree before the league starts Shani - some leagues do just what you say, worst team gets first pick, next worst second pick and so on. The concern is that if a team starts badly they will deliberate lose late season games to secure a high rookie draft pick for next season.

Links to a couple of articles on this topic below - but I would like a set up where we discourage tanking but still give the better picks to the worse teams…

http://www.dynastynerds.com/dynasty-draft-order-why-are-you-asking-your-owners-to-tank/

Potential points is interesting but part of success and failure is down to management so shouldn’t ignore that when setting the draft position for the following year
In my head order of when teams are eliminated from playoffs may work? Once eliminated there is no incentive to drop further games

1 Like

Wouldn’t have an issue with that, Shani - but of course there will be weeks later in the season where multiple teams are eliminated, so we would still need a further way to distinguish those teams

Yes something additional to separate but I think it removes undesirable behaviours and actually gives those eliminated early some trade ammunition during the season itself

Hi Al

Really great idea - many thanks for commissioning this. :slight_smile: I’ve been looking for another good Dynasty League for over a year now, so I’ll sign up and send you the funds this afternnon.

Can you give some more info about total roster size? For comparison, in my other (non-IDP) Dynasty League, the basic roster is set to 28 during the close-season, and must then be reduced to 24 by September 1st. On top of this, there is a Taxi Squad (for rookies only) with 4 spaces (consistent with the annual rookie draft being a 4-round draft), plus an Injured Reserve (for officially IR-designated players only) of 2 players… the idea of both supplementary rosters being not to penalise the owner’s main roster, for players whose potential lies in future years, rather than in the current year.

For the retainer fund, which seems to exist both as a contingency for dropouts and as a jackpot prize, suppose that someone goes unbeaten in year 1 and wins the jackpot… how would we then fund incentives/discounts for replacement owners, in case an owner abandons his team after that first year?

Cheers

Ian W

PS - On the draft order discussion, and any apparent disadvantage from drafting in last spot, Jon ran a 14-team “Fun League” last year, for which I drafted in 14th spot in the 1st round. I think this turned out quite well for me… :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Ian,

Firstly thanks and welcome. I’ve sent you an invite to the league.

Ok so for the initial year roster size will consist of 20 players from the veterans draft and 5 from the rookie draft. In year 2 we will as you say raise the roster size to 30 to allow the entry of the new rookies and you will have to cut to 25 players nearer the start of the season. With 25 spots on your roster we didn’t feel the need for the designated IR slot although we could potentially revisit this if people were massively in favour.

If someone goes unbeaten the first season we would use the retainer fund first if 1 manger dropped out and pay the reminder of the pot to the winner. I guess if we lost 2 and couldn’t replace them we would potentially drop to 12 teams and put the players up for auction in the next draft and pay out the full bonus. I’m sure between us we will come up with a satisfactory plan as a group no matter what trials and tribulations we face. We will decide as a group majority on everything. So the bonus would be a minimum of £255.

Ok I’ll put you down as pick 14 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Welcome aboard

1 Like

For the draft order in subsequent years I’ve seen it used where the best non playoff team gets the first pick and so on. So in a 14 team league with 6 in the playoffs the team that finishes 7th gets first pick, 8th gets second pick, and the team that finishes 14th gets the eighth pick, then the playoff teams. Keeps everyone trying to win every game, and softens the blow if you just miss the playoffs.

Thanks Chris definitely food for thought. I’m leaning to just penalising anybody that blatantly tanks the end of the season by relegating them down the draft board a couple of places. I think the players that really need the help should get it. When I say blatant I mean someone who drops an obvious stud to play a lesser player not someone who is choosing from similar players of quality. Seems the fairest way. I think we have fairly trustworthy bunch and hope the rule is never enforced.

That’s an excellent suggestion

Hi Alan, just sent payment over.

Can you drop me a message let me know you got it okay, thanks

1 Like

Do Like the second bite thing but it may not offer enough help to those at the lowest end of the scale- I say this in light that future draft picks can give in season bargaining power to those eliminated early if using the order of elimination (with a tie breaker if necessary )

2 Likes

I’m thinking that next years rookie draft might follow the rules of he normal nfl as I’ve seen that on some dynasty leagues. So the bottom player gets pick rd1 pick 1, rd 2 pick 1. Rather than snake. This is another incentive for the bottom team to stay. Any thoughts. Like it or no?

This is how the year 2+ rookie draft works in my other dynasty league, and I think it is the fairest system. Draft position can be traded up via a deal, or course, just like in the real NFL… so, during the close-season, I could offer my 1.8 pick + a star player, in exchange for someone else’s 1.1 pick, for instance…

1 Like

Does that mean teams are allowed to tank like in the real NFL as well?

Lol, no. Cleveland picked up at the end! Tankers will be punished. Are you thinking of joining us Chris?

1 Like

Are you referring to the la tankers

They had no round 1 pick to tank for, that ship had sailed when they picked the mighty Jared Goff

Only 6 spots left

I’m in for this, had a thought re next years draft, want to see what people think.

This is just for the top pick in the rookie draft, the teams that don’t make the playoffs could go into a lottery, where the 7th place team gets 8 entries/balls in the hat(whatever you were using), 8th gets 7, 9th 6, 10th 5, 11th 4, 12th 3, 13th, 2 and 14th 1, that way the better you do in season once eliminated, the more likely you are to get #1 spot in the draft, then every one else’s spot is assigned by finishing position, so if the 13th place teams wins the lottery, they pick 1, 14th picks 2, 12the 3 etc.

Seems the best way to stop people tanking, as they’d get a better shot at 1, while also making sure the worst teams get better

1 Like