Have you seen the NFL SUPER CONTEST - SPREADEX

Nah - I see where you coming from - I just don’t want to be the one that lets the side down as there’s money involved and not just my own.

Thanks LM, u would not be letting anybody down mate. I think everybody tackles these things differently, I for example would really enjoy it if I felt I could get a little analytical each week. On the other side of the coin I would feel its a waste of my time to do the same and in some weeks find it was all for nothing. Basically I think it would be difficult to get serious about it when I don’t know if my selection would count each week.

I totally appreciate where u and Dean are coming from however and whichever way it goes is totally cool with me.

While roaming round camden market yesterday (that place is cool) I thought more about this and want to retract my earlier statements. Yeh I do still think teams of 5 is the best way to go but I can now see the fun to be had in the other approach too, not least a bigger group with more thoughts as Dean & Noel touched on but also the ability to take any number of weeks out should there be a need to. count me in either way.

I agree with you either way works but having more involved lowers cost and ultimately gives us more thoughts around point spread…

I can’t stop thinking about this comp, I’m sure we can win it!

The downside of simply 5 people picking 5 different games per week is that we’re hoping that all 5 guys have a very successful season to be in the money, one guy having a nightmare will inevitably weigh down the other 4 guys. My approach would be to rate every match-up, some we feeling strongly about, some we wouldn’t bother and some which are simply too hard to predict.

Alternatively, collectively we have a large knowledge pool on various teams (Sean on the Rams, Gordon on the Saints, Noel & George on the Lions, Adam on the Texan teams etc). Perhaps we should concentrate on the teams we have a good steer on?

The flip side of the above is, would any players be blinded by loyalty to their team?

I have made a concious decision NOT to actively support a team as I gamble so much on NFL, I have a leaning towards teams I’ve visited and especially those I’ve won money on, BUT i’d never stop myself of betting against a team if I think they may get turned over.

My weekly picks would be influenced by Spreadex’s point spread on a team. If they are half a point different to the majority of Vegas firms, I’d like to include that in our five.

It’s pretty clear we need to group decide take your heart out of it !! And I agree with you here dean…

Also the group will need to chat a lot via skype or google plus and discuss the games ahead

I think I’d be up for this as part of a syndicate. Aside from getting screwed over by the Raiders that time, I’m quite happy about most of my picks last season, so aiming to be in the top 7.5% seems achievable.

Don’t worry chaps, although I bleed burgundy I still know the Skins have a long way to go before they will win the Super Bowl again, so I have no problem betting against them. I do agree with Sean that we should definitely have web cam sessions through Hangout or Skype - it will make it all so much better and interesting.

Yeh, the more I listen to you the more I am coming round to the notion of a single large group, dont like the thought of less winnings tho lol. The video/audio group chats will be good for our community too.

Dean, I agree entirely. The Saints are my team until I can scream and shout at regular players in London but I also have one or two nice bets on realistic SB chances each year and prefer to follow them through the season. Sadly this year I wont be betting the Saints.

Gentlemen, I have arrived.

Noel (aka Bluelionman) has been telling me to sign up here for ages. I woke up to find an email from him in the inbox so thought now was the time. And I’ve chosen this thread for a reason.

Before I start, I do recognise some of your names from the NFL UK forum so that’s good!

I am definitely up for this. And here’s why.

I’ve been pestering sports betting firms to do this for YEARS. I’ve written emails, letters and I think there is a thread in the NFL UK forum if you can find it where I even asked a BetVictor trader about the idea. It was brushed off.

I have been following the Las Vegas Hilton (now the LVH) SuperContest for a long time and I had the opportunity to be a part of a syndicate three seasons ago.

The way we went about with the syndicate wasn’t that good to be honest. I think it was $1,500 to enter so we worked out that for every $25 you entered you got a vote.

For each vote, we could put in our top five plays in. They were all tallied up and then the top five selections were our final entry.

I did not like this way of doing it, though. The people with the majority in the voting were square players so we ended up having 5 favourites in our first week entry. We eventually changed our voting rule to a requirement that people voted at least two underdog teams each week and things did turn around but it was sort of too late by then.

They didn’t enter the following year. I probably would have given it another go, but wanted the UK bookies to do something similar hence the mini campaign I mentioned above.

Oh, and by the way, I want to be clear. I’m not claiming we didn’t get anywhere because they didn’t follow my selections. I had some good weeks and bad weeks even if my votes didn’t make the final cut!

1 Like

Glad to have you on board equinoxx, not sure if we’ve met?? I’m Dean from up north.

I’m really forward to playing in this comp.

1 Like

Hi Dean,

I don’t think we have met. Thanks for the welcome.

1 Like

Here we go. The suggestion I made to the BetVictor employee:

http://forum.nfluk.com/showthread.php?p=1836752&highlight=supercontest#post1836752

Welcome equinox (finally) I am sure after a few mooches around TFP your wonder why you took so long to come in for a pint. :wink:

Now I hope your take notice of my fanto games posts - serious players like yourself really enhance a competition and offline live drafts is where it’s at - plus it’s fun as meeting offline has brought many folks closer together imho. :sunglasses:

Welcome aboard and we look forward to you getting involved !!

Cheers guys.

I’ve had a look at the rules. One drawback is the fact they don’t tell you the teams the other entrants have made and you’re only able to see how the leaderboard stands at the start of the new week.

The LVH publishes every player’s picks on the Saturday once the deadline has passed. Having this knowledge helps as you can compare your entries to the players around you in the table.

Say for example, you have HOU, IND, CHI, MIA, JAX and the leader has HOU, IND, CHI, TB, ARI - you’ll be looking for Tampa Bay and Arizona to not cover. It’s okay to start off with but in the latter weeks, this information is vital when you try to make your way into the payout zone.

It’s also good to work out the consensus plays and see if there are any trends that way.

1 Like

Whats your first 5!!

STEELERS at PATRIOTS (-6)
PACKERS (-4) at BEARS
CHIEFS at TEXANS (-1.5)
BROWNS at JETS (-1)
COLTS (-3) at BILLS
DOLPHINS (-2.5) at REDSKINS
PANTHERS (-4) at JAGUARS
SEAHAWKS (-3.5) at RAMS
SAINTS at CARDINALS (-2.5)
LIONS at CHARGERS (-2)
TITANS at BUCS (-3)
BENGALS (-3) at RAIDERS
RAVENS at BRONCOS (-4)
GIANTS at COWBOYS (-5.5)
EAGLES (-1.5) at FALCONS
VIKINGS at 49ERS (-3.5)

That is a bit of a worry, I may sounds like a conspiracy theorist but Spreadex will have some really big hitters in their comp (possible favourite customers or staff with knowledge of our picks). My £250 will be small beer to the majority of their customers.