CANCELLED - Bargate Bowl fantasy league 2016

That’s a shame, the league looked completely different and would have been great fun.

Unfortunately (?) we have moved from Basingstoke so would have been a trek and with a baby earlier in the year the timing wasn’t quite right.

1 Like

A couple of years ago I would have bit Jon’s hand off but I personally put so much time into the leagues I play in that I have learned since then to keep my league numbers down each year. Plus I can’t maintain giving all that time to fantasy football all year so I kind of enjoy the break. Myself and Anders are always discussing how great the off season is for fueling you’re hunger in anticipation for the football season. Imo all other sports should replicate this.

I’m a little surprised Jon did not get more interest, I can only suppose that Southampton might be a little too far South for players.

Cheers Gordon - I may speak to a few people about why they didn’t play (date, cost, location etc) and decide if it is worth trying this again next year

Jon,

While I’m not looking for a keeper league I would find it hard to resist an in person, high stakes auction league. Noel does one at £50 but I would prefer higher stakes to make it all worth it. Even an online one for that matter.

Just an idea

1 Like

Jon sorry to hear you league was cancelled. Would have been happy to skype or whattsapp in. Just a thought but why not do the league over time. People could draft by whattsapp, e-mail etc. You can fill in the draft board still. The league would still go ahead with the same rules. We have plenty of time to do it before the new season and people can have a bit of time to make their picks. Could be interesting. I am sure lots of people were put off by time commitments and possibly location but if you have plenty of time and we pick by whattsapp (I’d suggest a new group) then it’s problem solved. This also means your hard work putting it all together doesn’t go to waste.

1 Like

Hi Alan, had a think about this over the last day, and the honest truth is that the live face to face draft element was one of the very key features of this league for me. To be honest, changing the location of the draft, or changing the entry cost (either higher or lower) or even tweaking the format of the game, would all be preferable.

I will still do some work to see if I can get something off the ground next season (Gordon’s idea of meeting up for an auction draft maybe) - but for now, to make sure I get that extra face to face draft - I am going to sign up to Sean’s league and will do what I can to steer people in that direction to make sure that one is a success.

1 Like

Sorry it didn’t come off buddy - I was semi-interested but like Gordon didn’t want to bite off more than he could chew I fall in to the same boat - Southampton wasn’t a problem for me and looked forward to perhaps getting a hotel for the night but you wanted a multi-year commitment and I just couldn’t do that as my plans right now are hoping to push out to the states for a full season by 2018 and have a holiday to Australia in the pipeline for 2017 along with all the games I run already to still maintain and fit in have to confess house work, financial stuff and what have you has suffered for years - just not done it and really need to sort that to make my place more presentable plus make time for some dating so just had to not jump on any more time seriously hard core full on time consuming leagues however much they interest me. In a way it was probably fate my TFP Ultimates league never got off the ground either last year as it would have been to much time wise for me to start to address other issues I have in my life.

Don’t give up and try again - hopefully over time this sport is still growing as is the community here and hopefully as we make more videos of hopefully live offline drafts in action others will want to try and be willing to travel from further a field. A guy on here who was ripped off by the AWOL online big stakes money league runners was still interested in maybe coming over from Spain if dates worked and a space came up in my Originals league - shame I can’t recall his username on here as not seen him much and wanted to push both yours and Sean’s leagues as viable alternatives as options plus put my seal of approval behind both and vouching for you guys as being 100% sound guys and thus leagues would be terrific!

Hopefully he will pop up on here again in season and can push both leagues again for next year. In fact will try to see if I can find any old e-mails to identify him and maybe get him into Sean’s game and in contact with you for future league you may try again down the line.

3 Likes