Your Actual Cheltenham Fancies - Day 1 (2018)

As I’ve not seen any write ups here but think the consensus is ground will be quite soft am trying to read up what tipsters fancies are and what horses are shortening in price on Odds Checker to help aide my selections. I’m setting myself a limit of £100 kitty per each day of Cheltenham (excluding free bets).

However trying to police up all the offers the differing book makers have going on so really need to start placing some bets now to qualify for some of them - also all the odds are shortening on the horses I’m thinking of.

Firstly I was looking for a horse in the Mares Hurdle

Not being a horse racing person was hoping I could post the horses I was thinking of punting on to see if the TFP horse racing lovers can give me a steer either for or against.

So I was looking for a horse to go £10 e/w on with Paddy Power in this race as they have an offer on your first bet for all first day races at Cheltenham where you get refunded on losing single bets or the win part of e/w bets up to a maximum of £10 if the SP favourite wins. It seems to me most tipsters info I’ve read and people in general think Apples Jade will cruise to victory in this race - hence a good chance of being a SP favourite winner.
There for my thinking is to go for another horse e/w in this race where if it doesn’t win you hopefully land a place and still get the win part (£10) of ya bet back as a free bet if indeed Apples Jade does win.

I read Andy Holding’s Mares Hurdle Preview and he seems to like La Bague Au Roi as an e/w shot which was when he tipped it 8/1 but right now 13/2 on PP.

So thoughts, is this idea sound - £10 e/w on La Bague Au Roi?

Offer I’m looking to take advantage of: Cheltenham Tips & Offers 2018 - Day 1 - #6 by bluelionman

4 To Win Cheltenham

For anyone with a betway a/c just seen this FREE competition they are running each day - you have to pick 4 winners in the 4 races they nominate each day (each day is a seperate competition) - get it right you win £10K (or share of should more than 1 person pick 4 winners correctly).

Enter Here

Click here to go to Full Terms and Conditions

Right as anyone who knows me knows I’m not a GG’s person and totally clueless but as it’s free to enter and I do have a betway account here’s my entry:

Noel, for what its worth, I have backed Yala Enki (2.50) and Jury Duty (4.50) - 2 singles and a double. I’m sure there are much better horse racing experts who can chip in though!

1 Like

1.30 I’ve gone in a bit mob handed here with the skybet and betway moneyback free bet offers. I’m backing Mengli Khan, Paloma Blue and Debuchet. Mengli Khan ticks all the boxes for me with trainer and jockey, who won this last year with Labaik, who was also at a big SP. Paloma Blue looks a big price, likes a strong pace, hopefully we’ll get it–edit–of course we’ll get it, this will be fast and furious! -edit-edit- In a mud flying slog kind of way. Debuchet, my outside pick who was runner-up in last season’s Champion Bumper to the flying home Fayonagh. I’m hoping Getabird doesn’t go left-handed (he ran out in his point-to-point on left-handed track)

2.10 Not really getting too involved but have Footpad in a few minor multiples but I want to see Petit Mouchoir reverse the form. I think he can, but Footpad is some horse. Used a free bet on Petit Mouchoir.

2.50 Picked out Cogry as he will love the mud. Small each-way chances taken on Beware The Bear and Vicente who both have some engines.

3.30 Mick Jazz at 40/1 was too tempting a price hoping for a squeak at some each-way money. You’ve got to fancy Buveur D’Air as he is a deserved favourite. Also interested in Elgin, who was supplemented for this.

4.10 Apples Jade. Superstar, must win this surely? Jer’s Girl is a horse I’ve backed before, can she go close? I seriously doubt it but used a free bet on her just in case.

4.50 Jury Duty. Another Gordon Elliott runner I have fancied for this for a while now.

5.30 I’m going in with three chances here. Again Gordon Elliott’s De Plotting Shed and Tycoon Prince at a bigger price. Barney Dwan was mentioned in a lot of previews as a well-handicapped horse so he gets my final free bet nod.

Good luck everyone!

2 Likes

I don’t really know what I’m doing - not got many bets on yet - running out of time, info and tippers everywhere, so many different offers all over the place hard to know best place to bet - so taking Monday off as well next year to have time research all the offers weighed against prices work out what horse to bet where.

Any way for anyone that’s interested to see how a complete GG betting noob and no clue recreational GG gambler gets on at Cheltenham am recording how I go on Google Sheets and anyone can view my bets here:

Noel’s (bluelionman) Cheltenham Festival Report Card

I’m such an idiot - I had the winner Summerville Boy / Supreme Novices Hurdle with bet365 meaning I would of qualified for a free £5 bet on the next race and would of had the winner there Footpad meaning I’d get another free bet on next race - and horse there placed so I have lost out big time - it gets so hard keep up with what offers you got where - to many bookies with so many different offers - I’m lost.

Am sure I got free bets earned leading up I need to use first day on many different book makers - Hills, bet365, Paddy Power and Bet Victor. :horse_racing:t3::cry:

Sky bet have a lengthen the odds boost next race on the favourite - is it worth doing I don’t even know what a length is or if it’s likely - so horse racing fans can I get a steer on this please - decent shout or not?

Bet Here

Well that was a fuck up - did a fiver on that length bet and lumped £20 on Apple’s Jade on the nose! gulp! :sob:

Great call - was on my short list too, so this swayed me to put a small each way bet on at 40s - made the difference between a losing day and a winning one :smile:

2 Likes

I’m down day one - not helped by bets on Wolves and Man Utd tonight… been on a bad run for 3 weeks now terrible month for me betting wise.

Not including my football bets - just finished updating my spread sheet for day 1 and its not pretty - said I’d allow myself £100 a day losses so within that but still no one likes to be down and after day 1 on Cheltenham only I am to the tune of -£86.26.

Any one wanna share there fancies for Day 2 help me get back in the black?

Where I go wrong here’s my day 1 card:

BLM’s Cheltenham Bets