SB 50 @ The Hipp

No problem Shani, see you in the Hipp by 9-30pm.

Hi All,

Just to let you know Anders has had to pull out. He has been ill and off work all week. The penicillin he has been taking has not helped in his efforts to be well for tomorrow night and is currently at a walk in centre seeking a new source of life. He has had a particularly bad night and has decided that he is not well enough to make it and enjoy it tomorrow night. I am now offering his ticket to Rick Spangle.

Rick, good news, your up dude! The ticket is at face value (£20) and if you want it simply let me know today and pay when you get there. Will wait for your confirmation fella.

If anybody else has another method of reaching out to Rick (Andy) please can you grab his attention?

I’m binning the idea of drinks before curry. I am yet to book the table as been very busy but I shall call them today and book. Just to give people an idea of times and locations I’m putting out there…

For those who want food pre game meet at 7-45pm at Salt n Pepper in Leicester Square Map

For those who dont want food please meet us in the Hipp by 9-30pm Map

I’m here! Thanks Gordon, I’ll meet you at the restaurant. Get well soon, Anders.

3 Likes

Great stuff, thanks for confirming so quickly Andy. See you at the restaurant

Table booked.

2 Likes

Ok folks, see you at either Salt n Pepper or the Hipp, all required details in the thread above (recent posts).

Broncos - Lets have it!

One last thing and it really is just a small given…

It would be useful if people bring something relatively cheap with them, gloves, hat, scarf, jacket… Just so we have something to leave on our seats as we go to the bar as a group which may well happen during the game build up and while other groups are still arriving. I expect there not to be a problem once everybody has arrived and the game is starting.

Thanks

Just a thought, do you know if WiFi is available

All the Hippo guys and gals - have a great night, hope the game is a thriller, catch you all soon!

5 Likes

Thanks to all who made it! The seating was not quite what was hoped but it was a good night nonetheless. It was great to see you all again & I look forward to doing it again next year. Probably somewhere different however. :wink: :laughing: :grinning:

1 Like

Gordon - Many thanks for organising, it was great to get together. Waitress service was perfect and a few cheeky winning roulette spins paid the entrance fee.
A great end to a really enjoyable season.

3 Likes

Thanks for making the journey Dean, you got yourself an insanely good rail deal but its still a long way to come and its always good to catch up with you in person.

2 Likes

Gordon thanks for getting us together again, always good to see you alll. Now I might have been dreaming it but didn’t the first comedien mention nfluk doing live drafts for ff all over the country? Can’t see them doing that however…

1 Like

No problem Shani, I do it because i love it ; )

It was good to see you even if we did not get the chance to catch up much! A lesson learned for the next one for sure!

I dont know about NFLUK doing drafts, I heard the comedian suggest that the Hipp were doing a draft party. I imagine the crowd would be easily less for that so if they revert to normal seating arrangements for it I might host my little draft game this spring in the Hipp. That said you will be hard pushed to get me back to the Hipp for a SB, I am going to do a write up on here this week about that tho…

It was great to meet the few new faces we had and I hope to get to spend more time with them at future get togethers.

1 Like

A few thoughts on the Hipp.

PRO:
Table service is a great idea - otherwise there would be a constant stream of folks up and down for food/beer/getting rid of food and beer/ etc.
Very easy access to the venue - for me, coming from Brighton, it was always touch and go whether I caught the 4am train from Victoria when the Superbash was at the O2.
Good buch of guys to watch the game with, although I guess this would have been the case anywhere - nice chatting with Simon and Shani especially, as we ended up seated next to each other.
Surprisingly cheap beer (and much better stuff than at the O2) - a pint of Blue Moon Belgian wheatbeer (Hoegarden style) for under 4 quid, I’d struggle to find it at that in pubs in Brighton.

ANTI:
Conversely, although I didn’t have any, due to a great pre-match curry, the food looked waaay overpriced, obviously can’t speak for the quality.
Seating - the main issue - far too cramped - a row of 9 seats for us in the space for about 7, with the end guys practically side on to the main screen, although very near a good quality second screen.
Sound and vision - I found it a bit loud, but then again I’m an old git, was probably great for others. Although the secondary screens showed the HD channel, for some reason the big screen was only showing the standard definition picture. Is this (non-techie here) because only SD pictures can be shown on big screens?
Half an hour of stand-up comedy instead of prematch stuff - I still get the feeling that folks who run these events can’t believe there are UK people who actually love the game and all the pre-match build up, and feel the need to spice up the evening with other non-related NFL matters. I guess this is subjective too, but with the exception of the last guy (Jeff Innocent) they were bloody awful comedians anyway.

Summing up, bin the comedians, take about 20 seats out, show the game in HD and it would be fine.

Thanks Gordon for organising it and finding a good curryhouse pregame.
Hope you’re feeling a little better, Anders.

Hi Andy,

Its interesting you added your thoughts, thank for that. I am near completion on a review of the Hipp for Super Bowl and will post in a new thread with the intention of getting more views like yours along with views from others on different SB hosting venues. Would you be ok if I copied across your post once the new thread is up? Should be tonight or tomorrow.

Cheers

No problem, I’ll be interested in other people’s views too.