REAL TEAM ALLEGIANCE League - Year 7 (2019)

REAL TEAM ALLEGIANCE

Keeper Deadline Date: Saturday, Aug 24, 2019
Live Draft Date: Monday, Aug 26, 2019 at 11:00am EDT / 4:00pm BST (Auction style draft)

Full RTA settings can be viewed here: RTA League Settings

Bold & Boxed text always means new for this season (to aide returning GM’s to quickly find internal rule changes or new rules).

This league is my smallest ever league - just 10 teams and as all my leagues are, will be hosted on NFL.com.

I like each and every league I play in to have a different feel and strategy etc. making them unique and very different in how they work. I have plagiarised some rules I have seen mentioned in other peoples custom leagues on other NFL forums over time - they do say that plagiarism is the best form of flattery so if you see any rule you had first being used in this league then all I can say is thank you for the idea.

As the league name suggests my #1 golden rule will be all team names and logo’s within this league will be of real current NFL teams. In theory you will be coach of your beloved team and there can only be one of any team in the league.

Unbelievably this season I have met resistance from players selecting the current and up to date team logo for their respective teams. It’s tiring to have to keep asking owners to do this so as it’s my #1 golden rule I am taking the decision to replace owners that can’t be arsed to meet this small request. So should a team not display the correct and up to date logo after being asked to do so for 3 consecutive weeks then they will be replaced. YOU’VE BEEN WARNED!

Furthermore it will be a league requirement that you must start 2 players (one Offensive and one Defensive) from your real team every game week - including post season - with the exception of your teams Bye week.

This league is a long term dynasty league so you have the option to select up to 22 keepers from your finishing team the previous season (subject to the internal cap restrictions - see next).

CAP / DRAFT BUDGET

The draft money per team default is 200 and your player rooster is 22 players so to make things simple for all and for me to administer it this is how it works - keepers cost you money from your draft allowance budget as follows:

Any RTA player kept will cost 5 from your draft budget allowance.
All other keepers will cost you 10 from your draft budget allowance.

This is a very simple thing for me to work out annually and leaves all of you to now work out which players on your roster from last year you want to pay that price for or if you should let them go back into the draft and take your chances finding better value there.

Please note you have to carry a minimum of $40m into the live draft room so if you don’t have enough to cover paying for all your keepers I will override your keeper settings removing the last player(s) on your keeper list to make sure you have enough to comply with that NFL.com system setting.

In earlier seasons I used to increase everyone’s budget to allow for this setting should anyones total keepers meant they didn’t have enough to comply with this setting but from 2018 this no longer happens.

To allow me to adjust the team draft budgets accordingly I have to make the keeper lock date a few days prior to our draft date so pay attention to the keeper lock date once a draft date has been set for this year.

I am not sure how NFL.com works regarding the time it locks keepers so hence picking a date 2 days before our draft date so I would air on the side of caution if I was you and make sure you are happy with your chosen keepers before the the deadline date.

This league uses an auction style draft (and not the usual snake style draft). From 2017 the draft was changed to a Custom Linear nomination order… in a reverse of the previous years final league standings.

Waivers will be done by a blind bid system known on NFL.com as the Waiver Acquisition Budget or WAB for short.

Waiver Acquisition Budget (WAB) - Each team is allotted a seasonal budget. This seasonal budget is the amount of points that each team has at their disposal to bid on available players. The team with the highest bid wins that player and is charged the amount of WAB points that they bid to obtain the player. If you bid on a player, but lose to a higher bid, you do not forfeit the amount of points that you bid. All of the WAB points that you bid will be returned to your seasonal budget. In the event of a tie, the team with higher waiver priority will win the bid.

PLAYER POACHING (Introduced from year 2 onwards)

As this league is a maximum keeper league I wanted a way where GM’s could still get hold of their favourite players and change the look of teams season to season. I wanted to have something really different to any other league I am in and so came up with this idea - ‘Player Poaching’.

In a new twist for this RTA league every week of the regular season (not play-offs) the winner of each game can select one of their starting players from that game and swap him for a starting player from the team they beat - within the following criteria:

Only starting players on each team can be swapped.

The players swapped must be of the same position so QB for QB or LB for LB (not LB for TE etc.).

RTA players are exempted - so any players in the team of the real team represented are protected. So for instance in my case I am GM of the Detroit Lions so any Detroit Lions players in my starting line up can not be poached even if I lose.

Game winners must post on the leagues message board (aka wall) before midnight Wednesday (going into Thursday) UK time their swap (so everyone can see it). If it breaks any of the above rules it will not be actioned. Assuming it is bona-fide it will be actioned between midnight Wednesday and Thursday morning.

Should any team fail to start the required number of RTA players on any given week (except the teams real bye week) then they forgo their chance to poach a player that week should they win!

The Player Poaching rule if everyone buys into it and takes advantage of it throws up new strategies on who you start and sit against other teams as the season unfolds. It will also offer a very new dynamic to get to grips with long term as well as allow for greater roster movement throughout the season in this dynasty league.

Lastly if a match is a TIE then no poaching occurs.

STRIKES RULE XXX

A three strikes and out policy is in effect in the RTA. The reason for this is I want a competitive but fun league. The bane of most leagues (as any one who has played for a while knows) is flakey owners that give up when they are not doing well or don’t pay enough attention with regard to setting valid line-ups a few weeks in when the initial interest has waned or they have decided their team sucks.

As the RTA is my smallest ever league (10 teams) I will have no truck with owners who show the league this kind of disrespect.

Strikes are usually only given if you do not win your match up (i.e. loose or tie). In that event then for each player in your starting line up on a BYE, or who was listed as INACTIVE, on INJURED RESERVE or OUT etc. for a game at least one day prior to the actual gameday of said player a strike will be issued. Also a strike will be given for a player who you start that has been CUT as he can not play in a game while he is not with any team and this again is find outable before game day. To check any of your players status’ just click on their name when on your team page and it brings up information about them - if you click the arrows to go back and forth it gives you previous updates and at the top of each update there is a date when that information was published. I use these same updates myself when checking on players that appear not to have played in owners starting line ups and this is how I make a judgement on whether or not a strike is justified. Lastly strikes will also be awarded for each empty spot in your starting line up to - so be careful when picking up free agents off the waiver wire as they don’t automatically slot in to your starting line up even if that was the player you cuts spot.

Also strikes will be awarded for not starting your minimum required Real Team Allegiance players on any weeks other than your real teams Bye week. These Strikes are awarded regardless of whether you win your match or not and is the only way you can pick up strikes when winning your match up (as it’s a fundamental part of this custom league). You will pick up 1 strike per minimum RTA player not started (1 offensive & 1 defensive).

Also I recognise everyone can make a mistake or have PC issues etc., so that is why it takes 3 Strikes to lose your spot for following season and 6+ Strikes to be struck out immediately. Strikes also carry over to the following season but with each season one strike is deducted if you weren’t banned so if you only earned 1 or 2 strikes in a season and came back the next season your strike tally would be back to 1 (if you had 2) or none (if you had 1). So just like points on a driving license if you have not triggered a ban you can get them slowly removed for good behaviour (or in this case not messing up in starting a valid team each week).

Later on in a separate post within this thread will be a list of any Struck Out GM’s if that happens as a reminder to me who is no longer welcome in this RTA league and why they were struck out of the RTA (# of strikes picked up - 6+ to be permanently banned).

SURPLUS DRAFT BUDGET RULE (introduced in 2018)

Any unspent live draft funds will be converted to WAB points and added to your seasons WAB budget total.

UNSPENT WAB POINTS (introduced in 2018)

Any unspent WAB points at the end of each season will be carried over and added to a teams Auction draft budget amount the following season. So the first time this change will be felt will be in the 2019 draft. This change will allow teams to accumulate a bigger salary cap to increase either their live drafting power or mean they can afford to keep every single player on their roster should they wish to do so.

So from the start of the 2019 season each teams income is a fresh $200m salary cap draft budget + whatever WAB they carried over from the previous season.

SETTINGS HISTORY - In this leagues inaugural season some rules I had the original GM’s vote on and so due to the polls results (below) this league is an IDP and fractional scoring league.

1. Would you prefer this league to have IDP’s (Individual Defensive Players) or a block team Defence?

Poll result: A Block team DEFENCE - 33% / IDP’s - 67%

1. Should we use fractional points scoring or rounding up/down to whole number scores?

Poll result: Fractional points - 100% / Rounded up/down - 0%

From 2017 an adjustment to the IDP scoring settings was made to factor in the real life rule the NFL introduced back in 2015 that the defence could score off a turnover on a PAT or two-point conversion by returning it the other way for a touchdown - worth two points. - So I added this scenario into the RTA’s scoring settings also.

DRAFT ORDER

From the 2018 season onwards I decided to change the Draft Order from a Random Linear draft to a Custom Linear draft - based on a reverse of where teams finished last season. So in effect the last placed team will nominate first and the current champion will nominate last each round. I don’t think it makes that big of a difference in an auction draft league compared to a standard draft league but we will see.

From the 2018 season onwards this league became a PPR scoring league with Receptions earning 0.5 points. (So half a point per reception).

I ran a poll during the 2018 season to consider awarding 0.5 points for a completed pass from the 2019 season to go along with the PPR switch to boost QB’s scoring but the result of the poll was negative (majority not in favour - so have shelved the idea - at least for the time being).

RTA 2019 Final Draft banks

Each teams remaining $'s will be converted to WAB points and added to you 100 WAB points each team gets per new season.

WEEKLY STRIKE COUNT 2019

WK1 - 1 strike (Tennessee Titans / Chris Poyner)
WK2 - no strikes issued
WK3 - no strikes issued
WK4 - no strikes issued
WK5 - 2 strikes (New England Patriots / Matthew Gustafson x1 & Arizona Cardinals / Carl Fisher x1)
WK6 - 1 strike (Detroit Lions / Noel Symonds)
WK7 - 2 strikes (New England Patriots / Matthew Gustafson x2)
WK8 - 2 strikes (Miami Dolphins / Ray Burton x2)
WK9 - 1 strike (Chicago Bears / Douglas Hay)
WK10 - 10 strikes (New England Patriots / Matthew Gustafson x9 & Tennessee Titans / Chris Poyner x1)
WK11 - no strikes issued
WK12 - 2 strikes (New England Patriots / Matthew Gustafson x2)
WK13 - 3 strikes (New England Patriots / Matthew Gustafson x3)
WK14 - 3 strikes (New England Patriots / Matthew Gustafson x3)
WK15 - no strikes issued
WK16 - no strikes issued
WK17 - no strikes issued

Link to previous years table: WEEKLY STRIKE COUNT 2018

Last seasons final standings (2018)

League Champions

Saved for more league info.

Week 1 Strikes (x1)

Sad to report the following strike is awarded for NFL Week 1:

Chris Poyner - Tennessee Titans x1 for:

x1 for starting K - Graham Gano - (CAR) who was placed on IR before his teams actual game day.

Published: Fri, Aug 30 at 4:03pm by Rotowire.com

Placed on IR
Gano (knee) was placed on injured reserve Friday, Max Henson of the Panthers’ official site reports.

Analysis: The timing of the transaction means Gano won’t be eligible to return from IR this season, but he may be able to find a new team if he negotiates an injury settlement. The Panthers will move forward with preseason star Joey Slye as their new kicker.

Week 5 Strikes (x2)

Sad to report the following strikes are awarded for NFL Week 5:

Matthew Gustafson - New England Patriots x1 for:

x1 for starting WR - Christian Kirk - (ARI) who was ruled out before his teams actual game day.

Published: Fri, Oct 4 at 4:09pm by Rotowire.com

Ruled out Week 5
Kirk (ankle) has been ruled out for Sunday’s game in Cincinnati, Josh Weinfuss of ESPN.com reports.

Analysis: Kirk was unable to practice throughout the week and instead limited to rehab work on a side field while sporting a brace around his injured ankle. Coach Kliff Kingsbury said the wide receiver’s injury “could have been a lot worse,” perhaps hinting at a return within the next few weeks. Kirk’s next chance to play would be Week 6 against the Falcons. With Damiere Byrd (hamstring) also expected to miss the Week 5 matchup, the Cardinals will turn to KeeSean Johnson, Trent Sherfield, Andy Isabella and Pharoh Cooper behind No. 1 receiver Larry Fitzgerald. Last week, most of the playing time went to Fitzgerald, Kirk, Johnson and Sherfield.

Carl Fisher - Arizona Cardinals x1 picks up 1 strike this week for not starting a DB.

DB --empty– - did not start anyone. (x1)

Week 6 Strikes (x1)

Detroit Lions (Noel Symonds) picks up 1 strike this week for not starting an RTA player on Defense.

X Didn’t start an RTA player on Defense.

Week 7 Strikes (x2)

Sad to report the following strikes are awarded for NFL Week 7:

Matthew Gustafson - New England Patriots x2 for:

x1 Started TE - Greg Olsen - (CAR) - on a BYE
x1 Started DL - Ndamukong Suh - (TB) - on a BYE

Week 8 Strikes (x2)

Sad to report the following strikes are awarded for NFL Week 8:

Ray Burton - Miami Dolphins x2 for:

x1 for starting WR - Adam Thielen - (MIN) who was ruled out before his teams actual game day.

Published: Wed, Oct 23 at 2:14pm by Rotowire.com

Not playing Thursday

Thielen (hamstring) has been ruled out for Thursday’s game against the Redskins.

Analysis: After injuring his right hamstring Sunday in Detroit, Thielen was unable to practice Monday through Wednesday and, as expected, won’t be available to the Vikings offense on a short week. In his absence, Stefon Diggs will serve as the team’s top receiver, with rookie Bisi Johnson handling the No. 2 role and tight ends Kyle Rudolph and Irv Smith Jr. likely taking on larger target shares.

x1 Started LB - Leighton Vander Esch - (DAL) - on a BYE

Week 9 Strikes (x1)

Sad to report the following strike is awarded for NFL Week 9:

Douglas Hay - Chicago Bears x1 for:

x1 for starting WR - Will Fuller - (HOU) who was ruled out before his teams actual game day game day.

Published: Thu, Oct 31 at 6:57pm by Rotowire.com

Won’t play Sunday

Fuller (hamstring) won’t travel to London for Sunday’s game against the Jaguars

Analysis: With Fuller still out, added Week 9 opportunities will be available for Kenny Stills, who started opposite DeAndre Hopkins in last weekend’s win over the Raiders. Beyond that duo, DeAndre Carter is a candidate to work as the Texans’ No. 3 wide receiver this Sunday, unless the team decides to work Keke Coutee back into the mix.

Week 10 Strikes (x10)

Sad to report the following strikes are awarded for NFL Week 10:

Chris Poyner - Tennessee Titans x1 for:

X Didn’t start an RTA player on Defense.

Matthew Gustafson - New England Patriots x9 for:

x1 Started QB - Tom Brady - (NE) - on a BYE
x1 Started RB - Duke Johnson - (HOU) - on a BYE
x1 Started RB - Miles Sanders - (PHI) - on a BYE
x1 Started K - Jake Elliott - (PHI) - on a BYE
x1 Started DL - Fletcher Cox - (PHI) - on a BYE
x1 Started LB - Zach Cunningham - (HOU) - on a BYE
x1 Started DB - Jason McCourty - (NE) - on a BYE
x1 Started DB - Landon Collins - (WAS) - on a BYE
x1 Started LB - Kyle Van Noy - (NE) - on a BYE

Week 12 Strikes (x2)

Sad to report the following strikes are awarded for NFL Week 12:

Matthew Gustafson - New England Patriots x2 for:

x1 Started WR - Christian Kirk - (ARI) - on a BYE
x1 W/R --empty– - did not start anyone.

Week 13 Strikes (x3)

Sad to report the following strikes are awarded for NFL Week 13:

Matthew Gustafson - New England Patriots x3 for:

x1 LB --empty– - did not start anyone.
x1 Started DB - Jason McCourty - (NE) who was ruled out before his teams actual game day game day.

Published: Sat, Nov 30 at 3:36pm by Rotowire.com

Will remain sidelined

The Patriots have downgraded McCourty (groin) to out for Sunday’s tilt against the Texans.

Analysis: The absence will mark McCourty’s second straight since suffering a groin injury. It is also just his second game missed since the start of the 2018 season. Look for J.C. Jackson and Jonathan Jones to again see increased workloads as a result.

9 teams (out of 10) voted.

The overwhelming majority where not in favour of this proposal so it will not be implemented.

Week 14 Strikes (x3)

Sad to report the following strikes are awarded for NFL Week 14:

x1 Started TE - Greg Olsen - (CAR) who was ruled out before his teams actual game day game day:

Published: Fri, Dec 6 at 1:01pm by Rotowire.com

Ruled out for Week 14

Olsen (concussion) won’t play in Sunday’s game against the Falcons, David Newton of ESPN.com reports.

Analysis: With a playoff berth out of the question for Carolina, there was never much chance of Olsen rushing back into action just one week after he suffered a concussion. He was able to get in some work on the side while the Panthers practiced Friday, so a return for a Week 15 game against Seattle is at least a possibility. Ian Thomas should get most of the snaps at tight end for Carolina in Week 14.

Week 15 Strikes (x3)

Sad to report the following strikes are awarded for NFL Week 15:

x1 Started TE - Greg Olsen - (CAR) who was ruled out before his teams actual game day game day:

Published: Fri, Dec 13 at 12:50pm by Rotowire.com

Out for another game

Olsen (concussion) has been ruled out for Sunday’s game against Seattle, David Newton of ESPN.com reports.

Analysis: Olsen was limited at practice Wednesday through Friday, unable to advance to full participation. His absence should lead to another start for Ian Thomas, who caught five of 10 targets for 57 yards and a touchdown in last week’s 40-20 loss to Atlanta while logging 86 percent of the offensive snaps.