Introducing the UK NFL Live Pub Draft Weekend

Good points guys, as Dean says the possibility of duplicating sounds interesting…

I gave this some thought while driving North tonight and I always come to the same conclusion. I mentioned it some time back however it seemed unpopular at the time, perhaps with some players now looking for an in it might seem more reasonable, so here goes…

We have a fantastic LM in Noel and we already have a great bunch of guys that in my mind form the core of the league, with those facets in place I see no real reason why Noel/we don’t take it to the next level… A 24 to 32 team league!

Please hear me out… This year or next we raise the teams to 24, an obvious 8 additional teams but also an additional £800 in the prize pot. That could break down many ways but one such idea would be 4 divisions of 6 teams with the first 2 teams in each automatically qualifying for the playoff’s.

With squads that deep & with two qualifying spots available most players would feel that they have a good shot at sneaking a berth for the majority of the season and with an additional £800 in the pot LM could afford to pay £££ to each div winner as well as top up the already existing prizes!

If demand continues for a well run league the following season Noel could decide to raise it again to 32. I can honestly only see benefits, yes we would need a slightly bigger draft venue and yes we would need two draft boards or a larger single version but these are both moo points if Noel and we are serious about creating and being part of a league that stands above all others. A 24 or 32 team, live/public draft league would really be unlike anything else in the country and really would be something to market. With Noel at the helm it is possible.

Some may not like the depth that the draft would go to but I followed the white rabbit, I recently took part in a 16 team, 50 round dynasty league draft which lasted almost 2 weeks, I know how far the rabbit hole goes and I can assure you there is enough to go around. In fact drafting deep does 2 things, it initially levels the playing fields with studs being stretched but it also adds more meaning to the game and increases the need to manage your team and opportunities well.

The prize fund for a 32 team league would be immense with a possible £1.5k to the winner, £700 to 2nd, £200 to each div winner and the same again for the season high score (just an example of whats possible). However and I really mean this, despite the fact that I see this as a great competition the real sweetener for me would be the increased social group. Noel created something really very cool here with the public draft and high entry, it means that mostly only serious FF and NFL people get involved and its that element that made this league so great last year. Can you imagine expanding that to 24 or 32 teams, I like nothing better than socializing with people who know the game and are passionate about it. You wont get the same effect with 2 leagues of 16!

Noel, you created this league and its really fantastic, you alone decide where it goes from here fella and I am only offering up thoughts. If I had the drive & gumption to start this league or anything like it I would consider taking it in the above direction. After all why have 2 good leagues when you could have one amazing league and accompanied social network.

Ooops… I got all excited again

at first as I read your post Gordon I was thinking “hell no” but actually the more I personally thought about it the more I thought it answers all the issues and your suggestions make perfect sense. So what I’m saying here is if this is the route the majority go down I say hell yes bring it on.

Thanks Sean, just one idea on the table. It’s quite likely I’m in the
minority but that’s ok. I like the social factor and the competition so
for me it’s a win win

1 Like

Understand your motivation behind your comments Gordon and Sean but honestly I felt we were at a stretch last year initially and now I look back I almost think we were at optimal and wouldn’t have had it any other way
I think the issue with growing the league in that fashion is there eventually be a breaking point, whilst creating multiple leagues will be more capable once the numbers go beyond 20-30s
Also with the social element I thought to myself although I’d like more - (who wouldn’t )-I wouldn’t vote for putting all our names in a hat and dividing up between the two leagues if that was suggested
I think we have the right number of players to make the draft and the managdment thereafter interesting - the social element takes it above and beyond

Would a 32 team league work? With NFL teams on bye you are going to get weeks teams can’t field a QB, DEF and K. Even with a 24 team league if you get an injury at any of these positions there will be nothing to pick up as the backups would be so valuable.

I guess you could say it adds more/a different strategy to it, but I think I feel it would take away from the core fantasy experience. I can see maybe stretching to 20 teams but not sure whether above that would work.

Shani you may well be right.
When you run the numbers you realise the scale of the problem.
With thirty two teams you need knowledge going at least five hundred players in the draft.
Quarterbacks become a problem there just isn’t enough of them and with thirty two teams there value makes them an almost guaranteed number one pick.
If 90 points is the target in a sixteen team league what would 32 be.
Most likely 50/60 it becomes a lottery.
So on reflection two teams is still the way to go.

yes fair point. I dont feel we are stretched, in fact i feel we are just under the surface in terms of player depth but I do appreciate the good point about not enough QBs week to week… I should have considered that doh.

Hello everyone,

Just heard about this league through the UK & Ireland Washington Redskins Fan group on Facebook, thanks to James Taylor joining and posting a link to this league format. I have read over the discussion on this thread and would like to join league 2.

I have participated in various fantasy leagues, including dynasty leagues in the past. I also like the idea that money is committed from all GM’s. It will mean that everyone will be interested to keep participating throughout the season. Finally I also like the idea of a get together to get to know each other. I don’t have any friends that are interested in the NFL and often struggle or force them to come to the Wembley games (don’t worry, I buy them their ticket)!

It seems like a genuine proposition and I’m willing to commit and therefore risk the cash to join. I live in St Albans (just north of London), so getting to the draft venue will be no problem for me as well.

Let me know what I need to do in order to get things moving for me to join. Thanks and I hope to get to meet you all in the not too distant future. :smile:

4 Likes

It’s so good to have a fellow Skins supporter here - I felt so alone :smile:

Hope to meet up with you on one of our NFL nights out.

HTTR!

Scoring skins

No risk here we are a committed bunch and our commissioner (noel) is a class act…
Plus everyone here is warm and friendly !

Would like to meet too
Thinking of moving to St Albans😀

@Superstar I’m a long suffering skins fan. I was in DC for SB XXVI as a kid at thew age of 14. There was this buzz about town talking about the superbowl, so I watched it with no idea of American Football. I decided to ‘support’ the skins for the match and I haven’t looked back since. Hoping it’s just coincidence that the downward spiral is nothing to do with me :wink:

@Outsiders68 I’m sure you are all a great bunch. I look forward to meeting you to get to know you all better.

@Shani You can’t go to far wrong with St Albans. It’s a lovely place to live. I’ve been there for nearly 6 years nice. If you want any advice, let me know.

BTW my name is Neil in case you were all wondering. Looking forward to hearing from Noel about what can be arranged with an additional league. I appreciate time is running tight and the numbers might not quite add up. Hoping something can be arranged even if it needs to be a compromise for this year.

@Neil Good to have you on board mate, if you fancy discussing the Redskins in more details then send me an email on andersDOTsDOTclausenATgmailDOTcom

Hi Neil - glad to have you on board!

Glad to see my spamming promoting on Facebook has helped someone find the league! Had one other person express interest as who I’ll follow up on.

1 Like

Great to see new faces joining in and I’m sure I speak for everyone when I say welcome aboard

Absolutely, Welcome guys.

Awesome to get more people involved, welcome guys!

Guess we need to do a bit of a push for both the forum and the fantasy leagues in the coming months with the new season starting shortly…

1 Like

Would like to join your £200 league and I believe I’m already in the auction draft as well as the original league.

Sign me up commissioner chips all in.

1 Like

Will do Coach (aka Outsiders68) great to have you involved! :sunglasses:

Sean - How many leagues are you competing in this season?