Draft Kings Partner International Series

Draft kings going to be using the International Series as a marketing platform to boost take off in the UK, just hurry up and bring it :smiley:

What happened to the launch in the UK? They said this was going to be in the 4th quarter of the calendar year (leaving it a bit late)

Yeh, I know. Its been a disappointment. I suspect it relates to either…

a) problems in recent months emerging in the US re whether this is indeed a skill based game or simply gambling.
b) problems defining that this is a skill based game to the UK legislation holders

Now says launch will be early 2016 so will cover other sports before NFL comes around again

They’ve shot themselves in the foot trying to launch over here.

In the summer, they got a gambling license to cover the UK, but are claiming over the US that fantasy sports isn’t gambling and that it’s skill.

The people out to get them over there will use them picking up a gaming license over here against them. Can see it a mile off.

Sorry CP more or less wrote everything before I jumped in!

No problem man, it shall be interesting to see if it does open at any stage

Yeah, what Equinoxx says - they have a UK gambling license so there’s no need for them to justify it as a game of skill over here, but I guess they had an “oh shit!” moment when they’ve effectively admitted to the UK government that daily fantasy is gambling, whilst they’re trying to maintain the position in the US that it’s not gambling but a game of skill.

Legally it’s probably all fine - the definition of gambling can vary in different countries - but it’s ammunition for anyone in the US trying to legislate daily fantasy as gambling.

I don’t see why it’s such a big deal though, the US government specifically passed a law to allow this in 2006, which says it’s a game of skill rather than gambling if it “is not dependent solely on the outcome of any single sporting event” and “has an outcome that reflects the relative knowledge of the participants”.

Despite fantasy being quite luck-based, and daily fantasy much more so, I’d still say those statements are true for daily fantasy games. Open-and-shut case really.

Hi Adam, good shout.

If “is not dependent solely on the outcome of any single sporting event” and “has an outcome that reflects the relative knowledge of the participants” is true… Does it mean that my horse racing accumulator bets are not actually gambling and is instead pure skill? :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually dont answer that, I cant wait for one day FF…

Good news Gordon. The UK’s official NFL ‘Inside The Huddle’ podcast is now sponsored by Draft Kings - so that suggests Daily Fantasy is coming to the UK next year.
That’s one more thing to get the thinking cap on.

Hopefully FanDuel will find this site and sponsor us :smile:
Perhaps enough to buy Adam a pushchair

3 Likes

Thats really promising news fella, I look forward to it for several different reasons.